I’m really not one to cook with a lot of butter. I prefer to cook anything and everything in Olive Oil. One, I love the flavor and the nutritional elements are a bonus. I bake my cookies with half butter and half shortening instead of all butter. However, sometimes you just can’t get away from it and this recipe is no exception. These individual Chicken Pot Pies are heavenly and perfect for a chilly winter evening. They also call for an entire stick of butter for 4 servings…I tried to skimp, but it really requires that amount of fat. My B loves them…and they are pretty easy to prepare. I especially like them because it’s a dish that I can make ahead and even when he says he will be home in an hour…it can rest on the stove until he actually gets home:)
- 8 Tablespoons of butter (1 stick) cut into cubes
- 1/2 Cup all purpose flour
- 4 Cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 Teaspoon of fresh Thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon of dried Thyme
- 1/2 Cup of each chopped: Celery, Carrots, Onions, Button Mushrooms, Baby Red Potatoes
- 1 Cup cooked chicken breast meat
- 1/2 Cup cooked frozen or fresh peas
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Sheet of puff pastry cut into four 6 inch squares
- 1 Egg beaten with 1 teaspoon of water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly making sure it doesn’t burn on the bottom of your pan, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the broth, whisking until smooth and bring to a boil.
- Add thyme, bay leaf, onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add potatoes, chicken, peas, salt and pepper and cook until potatoes are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard the bay leaf.
- Divide the mixture into 4 ovenproof bowls (I LOVE my Aplico bowls…they are pricy, but they are amazing and you will find multiple uses for them)
- Place the bowls on a baking sheet. Brush the rims of the bowls with water and top each bowl with a puff pastry square.
- Brush the egg mixture over each one.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Let the pies rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
This recipe makes 4. To reheat leftovers, simply place in the microwave for 4 minutes and broil in the oven for 3-4minutes to make the top crispy again.